Software Development Engineer in Test
WHAT DO WE DO
Skyward App Company, founded in 2011, is a bespoke software development company highly regarded for the caliber of our work, people, and workplace culture. Our mission is to partner with innovators to make their ideas reality.
We create custom solutions for global clients, nonprofits, and other technology firms. That might be a mobile app that uses Augmented Reality to show farm analytics data over a field of corn, a mobile mini-Wikipedia to notify a response team of a new invasive species, or a communication platform to integrate equipment on a dairy farm, from pumps to PCs. Occasionally, we develop tools to make our own work easier, which we make available to other developers.
We are an agile development studio that holds ourselves to a high standard in our work and culture. The plan may pivot at any time, but the quality of our design, development, documentation, code reviews, and testing in an environment of mutual support and respect is the hallmark of our team.
The best sign of a good place to work is minimal turnover. The reason for this is our culture. Take a look at our GlassDoor reviews and thoughts by our CTO, as they describe it better than anything we can say in an ad.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
We require an experienced Test Engineer to assist with a range of test activities. Test Engineers at Skyward will be true quality engineers – they are responsible for both safeguarding the completeness and functionality of our applications and helping to shape the processes the company uses to verify the quality of our work. The primary resources you will need are attention to detail, persistence and an eye for the bigger picture.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop test strategy, plans and cases to enhance the quality of software deliverables
- Design and implement test environments
- Execute and document functional, UX and UI tests
- Work with developers to reproduce, track and repair variances
- Assist developers with the design and implementation of thorough unit and integration testing
- Identify gaps in test coverage and create a strategy to close those gaps
Identify improvements to streamline and reduce errors in our development process
- Work with clients to identify, document, recreate, prioritize, track and demonstrate correction of non-conformances
- Communicate openly and clearly with peers, leadership and customers
- Define “success” for each User Story
- 2+ years of testing in a full-stack development environment
- Experience working within an Agile Development environment using JIRA or Target Process
- Working familiarity with source control tools like Git
- Exacting attention to detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field of study
The successful applicant will be a self-starter who can understand the intent of our User Stories, then develop, execute and document detailed testing. He or she will be able to work with non-technical clients to reproduce and document bugs for the development team.
As we’re a small company, there’s an opportunity for you to get as involved as you want in any aspect of our business.
The salary is expected to be $70,000 per year.
WHAT YOU WILL GET
A trusted position in a small, supportive technical organization. But in addition, we have tons of perks:
- Health Insurance. We offer PPO, HMO, or HSA plans, along with Dental and Vision! Your individual premium is fully paid by Skyward Apps.
- Simple IRA. A retirement account, and we match a portion of your salary. Think of it as a raise for your 65-year-old-self.
- Paid Time Off. We have a simplified system so we don’t care if you’re going overseas or home with a sick kiddo. We also have standard holidays each year.
Life Insurance. We really hope you don’t need this, but it’s a bit of peace of mind for your family.
- Monthly Games Night. Sometimes we break out the Switch, sometimes Apples to Apples. We’re open to suggestions!
- Flexible Hours. We have core hours that we adhere to, but recognize that there are demands outside of work that sometimes need to take precedent.
- Remote working, as needed. In today’s environment we plan for remote work.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
We’re a small Maryland-based company and a close-knit team. We have a collection of talent in a multitude of areas, and we’re all constantly learning from each other and suggesting new improvements. We focus on the solutions, not the problems; if the world stopped having problems, we’d all be out of a job.
We’re a small and agile team that’s looking for hard working individuals who care about their work and learning new things. We are passionate about helping both clients and coworkers achieve new goals.
If this sounds like something you’ve been looking for, please drop us a resume.